Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Feeling Like an Ant

"Lord of all creation of water earth and sky,
The heavens are your Tabernacle
Glory to the Lord on high
God of wonders beyond our galaxy
You are Holy, Holy
The universe declares your Majesty
You are holy holy
Lord of Heaven and Earth
Lord of Heaven and Earth
Early in the morning,
I will celebrate the light.
When i stumble in the darkness,
I will call your name by night!
Precious lord reveal your love to me...."
Third Day, God of Wonders
Today I have the holy calling of interviewing candidates for ministry. As I sit among this group of talented and wise colleagues (both lay folks and clergy), I often find myself wondering how I ended up in this circle. How can I evaluate others when I am still working out my own calling? Then as we discuss and share, even around the breakfast table, it is made clear over and over again that all of us are on this holy journey with God. We are all in process, and works in process, aren't we? How can we claim and hold onto our own belovedness as we move forward (often with trepidation) in Christ.
I have been struggling recently with this calling, and in this struggle have been sorting out the facts. The facts of my call are clear: I love people, I am in love with Christ, God has given me an ability to preach that blows my mind. Sometimes my humanity gets in the way, does yours? My feelings get hurt, my competitive side gets a little too bold, my expectations of self and others are set too high.
Yet...all of this swirls together as the living Kingdom of God in the here and now. I am on a journey to search for God's image in others, in the world, and in myself. God certainly is a God of wonders...isn't she? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment