Thursday, November 12, 2009

11.12 - Beginning the Journey

"Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters;
and you who have no money, come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost.
Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fair.
Give ear and come to me; hear me, that your soul may live. "
Psalm 55: 1-3
I just got back from participating in a wonderful learning experience called "Companions in Ministry." The basic premise for this event is that pastors (and probably all professionals) work so hard to be self-sufficient and accomplish things on our own that we fail to embrace our deep need for true community. Anam Cara is Gaelic for "soul friend," the name you might give to your spouse, your best friend, or the people who help you to feel the most "at home" in your own skin.
The world challenges us to do things on our own, worry most about meeting our own immediate needs, and at all costs to do whatever it takes to keep ourselves safe and ensure success. Recently in my own reflection on this experience I have come to see this cultural norm in serious opposition with Christ's example in the Gospels. Jesus created space for anam cara, relying on disciples, women and men to encourage, support, and sustain his often challenging ministry.
I love this Scripture because it talks about our relationship with God as life-giving. Spending time in the Word, in prayer, or developing these anam cara relationships give us life. Helping one another gives us life. Listening and being present with one another gives us life. I've come to wonder why I spend so much time focusing on the things that destroy the life of my soul, rather than those that give me life?
This blog is going to be my own source of accountability. It will prove to be a source of life, a source of connection with God, and hopefully a source of true anam cara connection with those of you who come a long on this journey.
God's blessings and peace as we search for life!

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you've been inspired to blog again ... as I loved the REVDEV blog before ... I will always be with you on your journey as a "Companion in Ministry" ... I was pleasantly surprised to see your posting.

    As a WTF ... Women's Tuesday Fellowship - companion, I continue to pray for you and your ministry! Your a blessing to the church, community, and greater world ... may your light continue to shine brightly!

    Blessings

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...that which is life giving... each of us truly need to take the time to discover what that really is. Jesus came to that we may have life and have it abundantly! May God continue to bless you with his presence and peace as you journey with him. As we journey with each other may the Holy Spirit be our guide and teacher so that we may have this abundant life! Blessings sister! love, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thrilled to hear that you were so blessed and revived at the Companions in Ministry event. God is good. This blog sounds like a great idea. You are in my prayers as always. Love in Christ, Michael

    ReplyDelete